Thursday, May 6, 2010

Current bands I'm smitten with.

Lately I've been listening to loads of Green Day, Lady Gaga, Alcest, Les Discrets, and Eluveitie.
However, I'm getting rather bored of some of them, I want something....new, to be honest.
Speaking of new... I had downloaded the two new Avantasia albums couple weeks ago, and I found them to be quite, boring. I really wish Tobias would make more Power Metal, the first two albums Avantasia came out with were The Metal Opera pt.1 and The Metal Opera pt. 2. Both power metal albums, and the only the come from him. He's decided to focus more on heavy metal now. He has an amazing voice, and I only really appreciate it in his first two albums. In fact, I'm listening to TMO right now as I type this. Brilliant stuff.
Anyways, enough about Avantasia.

Ah, Green Day. How I love thee. They're probably my second favourite band ever, right after Alcest.
I've seen them twice, soon to be thrice on the 31st of August. :D
I've always liked them, since I was about...13 I believe. It's only been up until the beginning of this year did I begin to LOVE them. I'm actually in love with them. Mmmhmm.

Now..onto Alcest!
If you're wondering who they are, well...they're a shoegaze/black metal band hailing from France.
The musical GOD behind all this is the amazingly talented, Neige (Stéphane Paut).
In the beginning there were 3 members, Neige, Aegnor and Argoth, and they made one pure BM demo in 2001. Soon after that, Aegnor and Argoth left. He came out with his first EP in 2005 titled, Le Secret. Which is amazingly orgasmic, if I do say so myself. ;)
And released his debut album, Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde, in 2007, and his second album, Écailles de Lune, in 2010, even though he said he was gonna release it earlier. ¬.¬
However, I am surprised he released a new album so soon. Everyone was expecting a new album in AT LEAST 5 years or so. I actually like the new album a bit more than the first one, however, my favourite song from Alcest will always be Tir Nan Og.


Did I mention that Neige has been in like... 4137197398901 other bands as well? yup. He's just that awesome. :D

One of the many lovely live photos of Alcest from their recent North America tour. If only they had come to California. ._.

If only I could get a lock of his hair...
Oh! look! there's Fursy on the left. :P


Speaking of Fursy...
Les Discrets. Definitely one of my top favourite bands.
Les Discrets is a French shoegaze/acoustic project. It is the sole musical creation of Fursy Teyssier who also played in Amesoeurs and has created artwork for other bands including, Alcest, Amesoeurs, Arctic Plateau, Agalloch, Neun Welten, and The American Dollar, and Fursy also plays live bass for Alcest. They came out with a new album the same day as Alcest, and I must say...it's simply perfection in MP3 form.
Now this guy...is also truly a gifted person, not only as a musician, but as an artist as well.
I've seen most of his artwork he's done for bands, as well as the animated films he's done. All are brilliant works of art.
My favourite pieces of art from him would have to be....

The logo from one of his animated films, Tir Nan Og.

The album cover for the Lantlos album.

The album cover for the Amesoeurs album.


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment