Saturday, May 15, 2010

Favourite Singers.

Well, since I don't think I could choose just ONE favourite singer, I'd figure I'd do it by genre.
So I'll pick out my favourite singer from some of my top favourite genres.

Let's start with Power Metal. This one is easy, the winner is....Tobias Sammet of Avantasia/Edguy!


Tobias Sammet (21 November 1977) is the vocalist and primary songwriter of the German Power metal band Edguy, as well as the creator of the metal opera Avantasia and a member of the metal project Final Chapter. He also made guest appearances on the Rob Rock album Holy Hell and the metal opera Aina. Prior to Edguy's Theater of Salvation, Tobias was also their bassist and keyboardist. Afterwards, he decided to focus mainly on singing. He himself enjoys many bands such as AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Tom Petty, Helloween etc.

Ooof. I love everything about this man. His voice, his face, his hair, his clothing style (he always wears cool looking clothes, rocker style mostly). He makes sexy look even sexier, and he's probably the only power metal vocalist who can actually look good with short hair. I wanna make love to his vocal cords. <3

On to Folk Metal! Hmmm...this is tough. Folk Metal has a lot of varied vocal styles.
I guess I'd have to go with Chrigel Glanzmann of Eluveitie.

Picture taken by moi, back in November of 2009. :)
Born in 1975 in Switzerland, his vocal style is more of a death metal type style, but he's pretty good, along with the backing vocals of Meri and Anna occasionally. He also plays the mandola, whistles, pipes, gaita, acoustic guitar, and bodhrán in Eluveitie and Branâ Keternâ.

Black Metal. This will be fairly easy. There's lots of Black Metal vocalist I love, and think are amazing, buuuut, my favourite would have to be... the one and only... Neige (Stéphane Paut) of Alcest.



Oof. Where to start with Neige. Well, He's French, I believe he's in his early twenty's.
There isn't much about him on the internet, really. He's been involved with loads of bands, some would include Amesoerus, Lantlos, Mortifera, and Peste Noire.
His vocal style is mainly clean, shoegaze-y type vocals, with some harsh black metal vocals.
In Amesoeurs he did harsh vocals with Aubrey on clean vocals. In Alcest, it's mainly clean. Only on his latest album, Écailles de Lune, are there harsh vocals. In his EP, Le Secret, we were introduced to his odd, yet heavenly vocal style.
In his first album, Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde, it consists of his clean angel-like vocals, a humming, almost muffed style as well. I suggest that every Black Metal fan listen to at least the EP, Le Secret.

Now on Écailles de Lune he does phenomenal clean and harsh vocals. Mainly he has the harsh vocals sing along side with the clean. I can't decide which I prefer! they're both simply perfection. His clean vocals are mesmerizingly haunting and soothing. And his harsh vocals are throat-tearinginly melancholic, and the traditional black metal shrieks don't influence the album into a dark spiral. It retains it's atmosphere and beauty the whole way through.

Kay. A few of my other favourite vocalists from varied genres would include....

Corey Taylor of Slipknot.



Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.


Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day.


Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco.


Anders Nyström of Diabolical Masquerade/Katatonia



Shawn Milke of Alesana.


La Sale Famine of Peste Noire.


Satoshi of Girugamesh.


Vladimir Cochet of Mirrorthrone.

Now I do have more favourites, I just can't be arsed to list them ALL. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment